Brolied scallopsPrep: 20 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 4by Shawnna and Davide Busetti75 recipes>
Again, this recipe has my Venetian mother in law's culinary hand all over it. These scallops are so delicious, they never disappoint. I made them for Christmas dinner, but they are an elegant beginning to a New Year's Eve dinner, or any other culinary occasion. This recipe is simple and delectable. Large scallops are best, not the smaller bay scallops. I have used frozen on many occasions with great results, as long as they are defrosted completely prior to cooking.
- ingredients for 4 portions as an appetizer:
- 4 large scallops
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- t tbs. finely choppped parsley
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp of Grand Marnier, brandy or cognac
- Fresh scallops in Venice are sold in their shells, so I keep these and use them to broil the scallops. Scallop shells can be bought at a kitchen store, or they can be broiled in any other oven proof vessel.
- Take each scallop which has been rinsed and dried, and coat it in olive oil. Then, roll the scallop in bread crumbs until thoroughly coated. Place each scallop in a shell, or other suitable cooking dish. Sprinkle each scallop with a generous amount of salt, some parmesan cheese, and a dash of fresh parsley. The scallops can be made ahead for a few hours and refridgerated at this point.
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees. When oven is hot, put the scallops in the oven about 5 inches from the top. Let them cook for about 10 minutes, then spritz them with Grand Marnier or cognac (optional). Put them back in the oven and turn on the broiler. Let the scallops cook another 5 minutes, depending on size, being sure to keep a close eye to avoid overcooking. Spritz again with Grand Marnier and put back in the oven a few more minutes. Check for doneness frequently. Scallops should have a nice golden color, and be slightly firm to the touch. Serve immediately. They will taste absolutely fabulous. ENJOY!! Buon Appetito!
Leave a review or comment