Braised Shin Of Beef With Dried Tangerine And Herb Dumpli
- 1 x / kilograms shin of beef,
- 4 Tbsp. Beef dripping or possibly butter
- 30 x Shallots
- 1 x Fat clove garlic
- 110 gm Rindless fatty bacon
- 225 gm Button mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. Plain flour Salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 3 sprg thyme
- 4 x Parsley stalks (all tied to a piece of celery)
- 900 ml Red wine
- 600 ml Brown beef stock Dry peel from 1 tangerine
- 110 gm Self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking pwdr
- 30 gm Butter
- 1/2 sm Onion, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. Freshly picked thyme leaves Salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Lowfat milk Cool water to mix
- Several days before you need it, remove the peel from the tangerine.
- Spread on a baking sheet and dry out on top of the oven or possibly in a hot place. When totally dry, save in a jar till needed. Drying concentrates the flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 4.
- Trim the shin and cut into 11/2 inch cubes.
- Mix the flour and seasonings and toss the beef in it to give a light dusting.
- Chop the bacon.Wipe the mushrooms. Peel the shallots. Make the bouquet garni. Crush the garlic.
- Heat a cast iron pan. Heat dripping and brown the beef very well on all sides. Only deal with a quarter of the beef at a time. Deglaze the pan with a little red wine each time.
- Pour the beef and the deglazed juices into a deep ovenproof dish.
- Repeat till all the beef is done and the pan juices degassed, saving a little dripping for the shallots.
- Heat the remaining dripping in the pan and add in the prepared shallots.
- Keep shaking the pan till the shallots are brown. Add in the garlic and tangerine peel and deglaze with the remaining wine. Pour into the ovenproof dish with the beef.
- Fry the minced bacon to release the fat and the flavour and add in the mushrooms. Fry lightly. Add in to the beef in the dish. Tuck the bouquet garni in amongst the stock.
- Bring the whole casserole back to the boil. Then put a tight fitting lid on the casserole dish or possibly cover it tightly with foil.
- Simmer in a moderate oven (150C/gas 4) for approximately 3 hrs. This really depends on your oven and the quality of the beef. You will have to test to see if it is done. The shin should be tender but juicy and the gelatinous parts should have melted into the sauce to give a rich unctuous finish.
- Remove the bouquet garni and tangerine and throw away.
- Drop tablespoonsful of the dumpling mix (see below) into the liquid of the casserole. Put the lid back onto the casserole dish and cook for another 15-20 min till the dumplings are cooked and are light and fluffy.
- Serve in the cooking dish with a sprinkling of freshly minced chives or possibly parsley.
- To make the dumplings:Sieve flour and baking pwdr into a bowl. Rub butter into flour till it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the finely minced onion, thyme leaves and salt and pepper.
- Make a well in the centre and add in the lowfat milk and 1tbsp cool water.
- Bind together with the spoon, adding more water as necessary to create a very soft dough consistency.
Leave a review or comment