Bobotie ala Judy
A grate family meal, or can be put in various containers for later use.
- For the meat:
- 500g minced beef
- 2 oions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1-2 chillies, finly chopped
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2tsp ground cinamon, cumin and corriander
- 3 crushed cardamom seeds
- 1tbs curry powdwer
- 1tsp tumeric
- 250 ml frozen mixed vegatables, or any fresh, chopped veggies
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1can of tamatoes, either indian or italian flavoured
- Few blanced spinach leaves
- For the rice:
- 1 1/2 c (375 ml) rice, washed several times and soaked in cold water for 1/2 hour.
- A handful of raisins or sultanas
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp tumerick
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut
- 1cinnamon or cassia stick
- 3 cups boiling water
- Topping: 11/2 c milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 bayleaves
- Drain the rice, add the salt , coconut and cinnamon/ cassia stick.
- Add the boiling water and microwave for 10 minutes, fluff with fork, return to the oven for 5 minutes, adding more water if necessary.close with a lid and stand to steam.
- Stirfry the onion, garlick, ginger and chillies in a skillet over medium heat, until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown the minced meat and break down any lumps using a fork.
- Add the vegatables and a 1/2 cup dissolved meat cube, replace the lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the stifried onion garlic mixture, simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegatables and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. dd the can of chopped tomatoes, warm throug and transfer to an ovenproof baling dish.
- Mix the milk and eggs, pour over meat. Stick the bayleaves upright here and there halfway down.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 375* F/ 180*C for 45 minutes until set and golden brown.
- Remove the bayleaves and cinnamon sticks from the food berfore serving
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve with glazed carrots, cumara and green beans with the rice.
Leave a review or comment