Blue Corn Tortilla Crusted Crab Cake In Carrot Mango Broth
- 2 c. fresh mango juice (or possibly canned mango nectar)
- 2 c. fresh carrot juice
- 1 Tbsp. toasted whole fennel seeds
- 2 Tbsp. toasted whole coriander seeds
- 1 x habanero chile Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med red onion diced
- 2 x jalapenos diced
- 2 lb lump crabmeat picked over
- 3 Tbsp. prepared horseradish liquid removed
- 1/4 c. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. creme fraiche lowfat sour cream or possibly yogurt
- 1 lrg egg lightly beaten Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 c. finely-crushed blue corn chips
- 1/4 c. thinly-sliced green onion
- 2 x ripe mangoes peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 x green onions finely sliced
- 1 x serrano pepper finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- Carrot Mango Broth: Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and boil over high heat till reduced by 1/2. Strain and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crab Cakes: In a skillet over low to medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and saute/fry the onion and jalapenos till translucent/soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crab, onion mix, horseradish, mustard, creme fraiche, egg and salt and pepper, to taste. Chill, covered for 1 hour or possibly up to 1 day.
- Form the chilled crab mix into 12 (2-inch) patties 1/2-inch thick and dredge in the corn chips.
- Heat the remaining 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry the cakes for about 3 min on each side, or possibly till crusty and lightly browned.
- Ladle some of the carrot-mango broth into medium shallow bowls. Place 2 crab cakes in the bowl and garnish with green onion and serve with mango relish.
- Mango-Green Onion Relish: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment