Blinis With Smoked Salmon
- 1 1/4 lb Baking potatoes peeled and cut up 625 g
- 3 x Large eggs 3
- 1/2 c. All-purpose flour 125 mL
- 1/3 c. Buckwheat flour 75 mL
- 1 tsp Salt 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grnd black pepper 2 mL
- 1/4 c. Unsalted butter melted 50 mL
- 3/4 c. Light cream or possibly lowfat milk 175 mL
- 1 1/2 lb Smoked salmon thinly sliced 750 g
- 1/2 c. Lowfat sour cream or possibly creme fraiche or possibly yogurt 125 mL
- 1/3 c. Minced fresh chives 75 mL
- 2 Tbsp. Small capers (optional) 25 mL
- 2 ounce Salmon caviar (optional) 60 g
- For the blinis, cook potatoes in boiling salted water till tender. Drain well and mash. (You should have about 2 c./500 mL.)
- In large bowl, combine Large eggs with all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour, salt, pepper and melted butter. Stir in cream and cooled potatoes. Add in more cream if necessary - batter should be the consistency of thin lowfat sour cream.
- Brush an 8-inch (20 cm) non-stick skillet or possibly omelet pan with butter and heat on medium-high. Add in about 1/3 c. (75 mL) batter to skillet (or possibly less if making the 2"/5 cm rounds). Cook for a few min on each side till browned. Repeat with remaining batter. Keep blinis hot or possibly reheat just before serving.
- To serve, place blini on a plate. Cover with a layer of smoked salmon. Drizzle lowfat sour cream or possibly creme fraiche or possibly yogurt over the salmon. Sprinkle with chives and capers and/or possibly caviar.
- NOTES : From Bonnie Stern's "Appetizers" cookbook, these blinis can also be made in 2 inch (5 cm) rounds for dainty little finger foods.
- This recipe serves 8.
Leave a review or comment