Blackchickpea Snack (Konda Kadalai Sundal)Prep: 10 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 1by Sensibleveg13 recipes>
Looking for a super healthy snack, low in carbohydrate, high in protein, gluten free, filling, inspite of all these good things still tastes great. Then this one is a must try for you. If you are of a South Indian (South East Asian - South Indian) then this sundal is a no big deal and you would have tasted it so many times. If not do try this out and i am sure you will be glad you did. You can get this black chick pea, in an Asian Indian store. This is a much more nutritionally superior variety than garbanzo in terms of protein and lower in glycemic index. So if you are a carb watcher either to watch your weight or to watch your sugar level, this one will fit the bill.
- Kala Channa (Blackchick pea) - 1 Cup
- Salt - 1/2 Tsp or to taste
- Asafoetida - a pinch(avoid this if you are allergic to wheat)
- Ginger strips - 1 inch piece (optional)
- Coconut oil - 2 Tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves -1 Tbsp chopped
- Curry powder - 1 Tsp or to taste
- Grated coconut - 2 Tbsp
- Grated or Chopped raw mango pieces - 2 Tbsp
- 1) Soak the kala channa over night.
- 2) In the morning rinse the kala channa thoroughly for few times and just add enough water to cover the surface. Add salt, asafoetida powder and ginger piece(this will help in reducing the gas when added to beans, legumes while cooking) and cook in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles and then switch off.
- 3) Once the pressure cooker is cooled down, take out the cooked kala channa and drain out the water and take out the ginger piece. You can use this water, ginger etc for soups, rasam etc.
- 4) Heat a pan, add coconut oil. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds stop spluttering, add curry leaves, drained kala channa and saute for 3-5 minutes. At this stage check if the salt is up to your taste, if not add little more.
- 5) Add the curry powder, grated coconut and saute for 2 more minutes and switch off.
- 6) After the sundal is cooled down little bit, add the chopped or grated mango to and enjoy.
Leave a review or comment