Blackberry Dumplings Jo Ann
- 1 3/4 c. Unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. Vegetable shortening
- 1 c. Sugar Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 c. Cool water
- 4 c. Washed fresh blackberries
- 1/4 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Butter, or possibly more
- 1 c. Simple Syrup, seenote
- 1 c. Crushed berries
- 1 c. Unwhipped cream from neighbors cow if poss
- Sift together flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender till mix resembles large coarse crumbs. Sprinkle water over flour mix, using a fork to stir it in gently to make it gather into a ball (the less water the better just sufficient to hold it together).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and shape with your hands into two balls, one slightly larger than the other. Refrigeratedough for 1 hour, then roll out ball to a 8" or possibly 9" circle.
- Now, mix sugar, butter and all-purpose flour in a separate bowl, then add in a dash of salt and stir in berries.
- Mix some of the "crushed berries" into the simple syrup.
- Mound about a c. of the berry mix onto the circle of dough, fold over the edges to enclose the filling.
- Repeat till all dough and berries are used.
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- The enclosed bundles of berries are placed in a 9x13 baking pan. Over this a syrup is poured to the depth of the first knuckle of my grandmother's index finger (maybe about one inch). I'm guessing it was a simple sugar syrup, but maybe with the addition of some smashed blackberries. All of this was cooked in a 350 degree oven till it looked REALLY good-brown and bubbly-with the whole house smelling heavenly. Seenote; Simple Syrup 2 1/2 c. sugar3/4 c. light corn syrup 1 1/4 c. water Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir over low heat till sugar is completely dissolved. When clear, wash down sides of pan with a brush dipped in cool water. Cover saucepan for 5 min to allow steam to dissolve any remaining sugar crystals. Uncover and increase the heat. Boil without stirring for 5 min. cold, pour into jars, and cover tightly. Store at room temperature.
- Makes about 2 3/4 c..
Leave a review or comment