Black Bean And Smoked Chicken Soup
- 1/2 c. dry black beans
- 2 c. water
- 1 x bay leaf Light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 c. broccoli stems, peeled and minced
- 1/2 c. carrot, scraped and cubed
- 1 c. celery, scraped and cubed
- 1 c. onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dry thyme
- 1 Tbsp. dry basil
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 8 ounce boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 Tbsp. barbecue sauce, (no-oil variety)
- 1 c. chicken stock, fat skimmed off
- 12 ounce evaporated skim lowfat milk
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 Tbsp. cool water
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
- Pick over and rinse the beans. Put them into a large bowl and cover completely with cool water. Let the beans soak overnight (or possibly for at least 8 hrs).
- Drain the beans and transfer them to a medium saucepan. Add in the 2 c. water and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 15 min. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 min, till the beans are tender. Drain the beans and throw away the bay leaf.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a heavy stockpot over medium heat for about 1 minute, then spray it twice with the vegetable oil. Add in the broccoli stems, carrot, celery, and onion. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 min, stirring once or possibly twice. Stir in the thyme, basil, and wine. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 min, till the wine has been reduced by half.
- In the meantime, coat the chicken thoroughly with the barbecue sauce and bake for 10 min on the top shelf of the oven. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cold just long sufficient to handle. Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- Add in the chicken, chicken stock, and beans to the stockpot. Cook over low heat for about 3 min, till thoroughly heated. Stir in the evaporated lowfat milk and the broccoli florets. Cook for 5 min, stirring if needed to keep the soup from coming to a boil. Add in the dissolved cornstarch and cook for 2 min more, stirring constantly. Stir in the liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce. Garnish with the minced cilantro.
Leave a review or comment