Black Bean And Barley Chopped Salad
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. pearled barley
- 1 c. canned black beans liquid removed
- 3/4 c. corn kernels thawed if frzn
- 3/4 c. Italian style peeled tomatoes liquid removed and minced
- 1/2 c. green peas thawed if frzn
- 1/2 x avocado minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro minced
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 x scallion white part only, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x clove garlic chopped
- 1/4 lb European salad blend (mixed greens)
- Bring water to a boil in a heavy pot. Add in barley and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 35-40 min till water has evaporated and barley is tender. Remove from heat. Transfer barley to a cookie sheet. Spread barley out to cold briefly.
- While barley is cooking, combine next 7 ingredients and salt to taste in a salad bowl. Cover and chill till barley is cooled. Combine remaining ingredients, except lettuce, in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously till emulsified. Set aside. Transfer cooled barley to bean and vegetable mix. Toss. Add in dressing and toss again. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
- Start to Finish Time:"1:00"
Leave a review or comment