Beef Florentine With Three Cheeses
- savoury beef layer:
- 1 x good knob of butter
- 1 4/5 kg good quality lean chopped beef
- 3 x level Tbsp. plain flour
- 2 x 400g tins of minced tomatoes
- 4 x fat clv garlic crushed
- 4 x good Tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 x generous tsp. caster sugar
- 1 x salt and freshly grnd black pepper spinach and cheese layer
- 450 gm frzn leaf spinach thawed
- 175 gm mature cheddar grated
- 175 gm gruyere or possibly emmental cheese grated
- 225 gm rich cream cheese
- 4 x Large eggs beaten topping: about 17 sheets filo pastry melted butter for brushing
- First cook the chopped beef.
- Heat the butter in a large pan on the simmering plate add in the meat and cook stirring.
- When the natural fat begins to run out transfer to the boiling plate and brown the meat.
- Add in the flour mix well then add in the tomatoes garlic tomato puree sugar and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil simmer for 5 min cover and transfer to the simmering oven. Bake for 45 min till tender.
- Check the seasoning.
- Next mix the spinach filling.
- Squeeze all of the water out of the spinach.
- Turn into a bowl with the cheeses then add in the Large eggs season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spread half of the beef mix in a shallow ovenproof dish about 380 x 300mm.
- Top with the spinach mix then with a layer of the remaining beef.
- Spread about 5 sheets of the filo pastry out on a table.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Cover the surface of the beef with 3 layers of filo using the 5 buttered sheets of filo trimming to fit.
- Brush the remaining 12 sheets with butter.
- Scrunch up each sheet and arrange on top oFthe layered filo.
- This means which each person gets a crispy piece of filo and the dish is easier to cut into portions.
- Bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven for about 30 to 35 min till golden and bubbling at the edges.
- This is wellflavoured chopped beef topped with spinach and cheese then finished with a to of crisp filo pastry. The sheets of filo which we buy in the local supermarket are cypressa.
- Serves 12
Leave a review or comment