Beef, carrot & stout stewPrep: 10 min Cook: 2 hours Servings: 4by Brett Ede197 recipes>
- vegetable oil
- 1 kg cubed beef
- 6 carrots, cut into largish chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup stout, freshly opened
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or 1 heaped tbsp tomato paste)
- 1 scant tbsp brown sugar
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3-4 swedes, peeled & chopped
- a good dollop of butter
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a layer of oil in a large heavy-bottomed casserole or pot until smoking and brown the beef all over, in batches. Remove.
- Add a little fresh oil to the pot, if needed, and gently sautÃ© the carrots, onion and garlic for about 5 mins.
- Then add the flour and briefly cook, continually stirring and scraping the bottom as you do so.
- Add the stock, stout, tomatoes, brown sugar, thyme sprig, bay leaves and seasonings. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Return the beef and toss well. Then turn the heat down and gently simmer for about 1Â½ hours until the meat is very tender.
- When ready, add the peas and cook for another 5 mins.
Leave a review or comment