Beef Barley Soup With Wild Mushrooms And Parsnips
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb Assorted fresh wild mushrooms, (such as crimini and oyster), sliced
- 3/4 lb Onions, minced
- 2 x Celery stalks, minced
- 4 lrg Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 lb Center-cut beef shank slices, (about 3/4 to 1 inch thick)
- 8 c. Canned beef broth
- 7 c. Water
- 1 1/4 lb Red bell peppers, minced
- 1 lb Parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pcs
- 1/2 lb Carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pcs
- 1 3/4 c. Pearl barley, (about 9 ounces)
- 1 1/2 c. Canned crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 2 pkt Dry porcini mushrooms, (see note below), brushed clean of any grit, coarsely minced (3/4-oz)
- 2 Tbsp. Dry marjoram
- 1 Tbsp. Dry thyme
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add in mushrooms and onions. Saute/fry till mushrooms brown, about 18 min. Add in celery and garlic and stir 1 minute. Add in beef shank slices and all other ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer till meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hrs. Remove from heat.
- Using tongs, remove meat from pot. Cold slightly. Remove meat from bones; throw away bones and any tough connective tissue. Cut meat into bite-size pcs and return to soup. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cold slightly at room temperature. Refrigerateuncovered till cool, then cover and keep chilled.
- Rewarm over medium heat.)
- Note: Porcini mushrooms are available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores and many supermarkets.
- Makes 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment