Basic Savory Beef Stew
This recipe has evolved over many years of trying new variations, but this is the best version, according to my family and I.
- 1 lb. beef stew cubes.
- 2 cups of no sodium beef bullion.
- 1 very large baking potato, washed, and cut into medium sized rough chunks.
- 2 large carrots, washed and peeled, cut into large chunks.
- bag of any kind of flour to use generously for gravy.
- sifter for adding flour to stew.
- garlic powder.
- onion powder.
- 1. Sear beef chunks, in non-stick skillet. Do all sides.
- 2. Add beef broth, stirring up bits from bottom of pan.
- 3. Add beef and broth to crock pot.
- 4. Put crock pot on low.
- 5. Cover meat with garlic and onion powder, twice each!!
- 5. Using sifter, add small amounts of flour until desired thickness of gravy is reached.
- 6. Gravy may take an hour or two to thicken fully. Wait until it reaches satisfactory thickness before adding vegetables.
- 7. At least an hour later add potatoes and carrot chunks. Stir lightly, to mix. Do not over stir during cooking.
- 8. Cover and wait 8 hours, or until meat is falling apart on the fork.
- 9. Check occasionally, to see if gravy is right thickness. If not sift in more flour in very small increments, as heat will work eventually to thicken it.
Leave a review or comment