Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon bits
One of my favorite recipes!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, about 2 cups dry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- dash garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, drained, diced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni following package directions.
- Drain in a colander, rinse with hot water, and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add the green onions and garlic powder.
- Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir until well blended and smooth. Add the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the cheese and set aside.
- Stir the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese into the sauce and continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- Combine the cheese sauce with the drained macaroni and spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle bacon evenly over the casserole and top with the reserved 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Toss bread crumbs with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
Leave a review or comment