Baked Chevre With Tomato Salsa
- 6 lrg Ripe tomatoes 6
- 1 x Clove garlic, chopped 1
- 1/3 c. Minced fresh chives or possibly green onions 75 mL
- 1 c. Minced fresh coriander 250 mL
- 4 x Jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely minced (more or possibly less to taste) 4
- 1/2 tsp Salt 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grnd black pepper 2 mL
- 1 Tbsp. Lime juice 15 mL
- 10 ounce Chevre, (creamy mild goat cheese) 300 g
- Core tomatoes and cut in half. Squeeze out seeds. Chop tomatoes finely.
- Combine tomatoes with garlic, chives, coriander, chilies, salt, pepper and lime juice. Taste for seasoning. Place sauce in flat serving dish with a slight lip.
- Cut cheese into rounds about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick. Arrange on baking sheet.
- Just before serving, preheat broiler. Broil cheese about 6 inches (15 cm) from heat till hot and slightly browned. This should only take 2 to 3 min. Lift warm cheese off baking sheet and place on sauce.
- A LIGHTER SIDE: Instead of using just goat cheese, cream together 5z
- (150g) goat cheese with 5z (150g) low-fat pressed cottage cheese.
- Shape into rounds and broil as instructed above.
- NOTES : Serve this with corn chips for dipping, or possibly spread it on cornbread or possibly crusty French or possibly Italian bread.
- Bonnie's "Appetizers" book, makes 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment