Baigan Ka Bhartha/ Skillet baked Egg Plant Sidedish for Roti's or Indian BreadPrep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 2by shruthisingh411 recipes>
Another really easy peasy recipe of a gr8 going with hot hot phulka's (absolute no oil puffed skillet baked Indian bread...can't believe that's the english translation for such a simple and small word like phulka). I had been lazing all day...since i had that odd feeling i'd land up with a cold and cough...and by the time i realized, it was already well past 1300hrs...and my hubby could land up for lunch anytime...i just have under 60mins to minutes to cook up something for lunch, and i set my eyes on my beautiful "Baigan aka Brinjal" i set out to cook lunch and it turned out really yummy...and in under 45mins...for those who have never done it this way lemme tell you i am doing it the traditional way by actually cooking it on the flame but if you have alternate ways of doing it like try a skillet,go right ahead and do it...the only difference would be that when you cook the brinjal directly on the flame it acquires the smoky flavour...in addition to the super yummy creamy texture it gets..;).and when you cook it on a skillet it does not get the smoky flavour..;)...well the choice is totally yours...personally i love the smoky taste...!!
- Brinjal/Baigan: 1 Large sized(approx: 250gms or 300gms).
- Onion: 1 Medium sized(chopped finely).
- Tomato: 1 Medium sized(chopped finely).
- Curry Leaves: a few.
- Cumin Seeds/Jeera: 1 Tsp.
- Urad Dal/Split Black Gram: 1 Tsp.
- Green Chilly: 2 nos(finely chopped).
- Coriander/Cilantro Leaves: A few Springs(some chopped finely and some for garnishing).
- Salt: To Taste.
- Oil: 1 Tbsp.
- Take the Brinjal and smear a few drops of oil on it, place it on the gas burner and keep turning it over and over,until it cooks, you will notice the brinjal developing cracks and the skin chipping of..it's ok..let it be, once done take the brinjal off the stove and set aside for it to cool.
- Once cool, peel off the skin completely and just mash the brinjal roughly(it would as it is be creamy and mushy), i only had to cut it into small portions.
- Mix the chopped onions and tomatoes,add salt to the brinjal.
- Take a pan, add 1Tbsp of oil(i used oilve, since that is what i use for everyday cooking, you can take you pick),add jeera(cumin seeds let it splutter), add split black gram and green chillies and switch off the gas and add the curry leaves.
- Now add the mashed brinjal&onions&tomato mixture to the tadka.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves( i used fresh parsely since i had run out of cilantro)Eat with hot phulka's and enjoy a healthy life.
Leave a review or comment