- 3# 10 oz
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 1/2# shortening
- 2 1/2 cups water, cold
- 5 dozen eggs
- 1 gal cream or half and half
- 1 gal milk
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper, white
- 6# cheese, swiss, grated
- 2# bacon, chopped, cooked and drained
- 1# cheese, parmesan, grated
- Mix flour and shortening on low speed, using flat beater. Mix until fat particles are the size of small peas (for a flaky crust). For a mealy crust, mixture should resemble cornmeal.
- Add water and salt to flour-fat mixture; mix on low speed only until dough will hold together.
- Line pie pans (8-inch) with pastry, 5 oz per pan. Partially bake shells at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs. Add cream, milk, and seasonings.
- Sprinkle partially baked shells with swiss cheese, 4 oz per pie, and bacon, 2 oz per pie. Pour egg mixture into shells, 15 oz (approx. 2 cups) per pie.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, 2 Tbsp per pie.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until custard is set and lightly browned.
Leave a review or comment