Autumn Spice CakePrep: 20 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 18by Farrell May Podgorsek54 recipes>
One of my favorite creations. I was going to make my carrot cake which calls for pureed carrots, and realized I had no carrots. It's Fall, and what I did have on hand was canned butternut squash puree. The butternut squash purée and crushed pineapple add a subtle flavor and lots of moisture to this mildly spiced cake. Even the family members who don't like spice cake came back for seconds. Of course, you can use puréed carrot, pumpkin or sweet potato in place of the squash. Have fun and experiment.
- 2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed (3 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups puréed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained and most of the remaining moisture squeezed out
- Powdered sugar or your favorite Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan, then line with parchment paper if you plan to remove the cake.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a mixer whisk the eggs, vanilla and both sugars on medium speed or by hand until the mixture looks frothy. Add the squash and whisk until combined. Slowly add the oil in a steady stream and continue to whisk until combined. Whisk in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. With a rubber scraper stir in the crushed pineapple just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly in the pan. Bake about 40 minutes, until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out with moist crumbs, turning pan halfway through baking. When the cake is done, remove the pan to a cooling rack and let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan.
- Transfer cake to a serving platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost with your favorite Cream Cheese Frosting.
Leave a review or comment