Asparagus TartPrep: 30 min Cook: 55 min Servings: 8by Julia Ann Souders63 recipes>
Spring time asparagus surrounded with a custard filling. Great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or late time supper. Excellant to be served warm or room temperature. Give it some color by adding diced red bell peppers and sliced black olives. Try shredded cheddar cheese for variety.
- Caraway Pie Dough, 10-inch single crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, diced
- Ice water until dough is all moistened.
- Custard Filling
- 1 pound thin asparagus spears
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temparature
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 drops of hot pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Make the Caraway Pie Dough.
- Mix flour, salt and caraway seeds together in food processor.
- Add butter and shortening.
- Process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add the ice water until the dough will stick together. Roll into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out on well floured counter or bread board to fit a greased 10-inch tart pan. Prick dough lightly with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Wash and trim bottom ends off the asparagus.
- Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Blanch 3 minutes in boiling water, drain and rinse in cold water.
- Save the asparagus tips separately to put on top.
- In a bowl, blend the cream cheese and eggs, one at a time. It will be lumpy.
- Blend in salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Spread the asparagus stalks around the edge of pie.
- Pour in half of the custard filling.
- Bake 15 minutes on the lowest oven shelf.
- Remove from oven; pour in remaining filling.
- Arrange the asparagus tips around the edge of pie.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese over top.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 F.
- Return to lowest oven shelf; bake 40 minutes.
- Insert knife in center; it is done when knife comes out clean.
- Rest tart on rack for 15 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment