Asian Brown Rice And Lentil Soup, Modified
- 10 c. water
- 12 ounce lentils rinsed and liquid removed
- 1/2 c. brown rice uncooked
- 1 1/2 tsp miso up to 2 tsp.
- 1 c. scallions minced w/tops
- 1 c. celery minced
- 1/2 c. carrot sliced
- 1/2 c. green bell pepper
- 1/4 c. cilantro chopped, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger root grated
- 4 tsp garlic chopped
- 1/4 c. tamari soy sauce low sodium
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar or possibly cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt optional warm pepper sauce to taste
- Bring water to a boil in 4- qt pot. Stir in lentils and brown rice; reduce heat to medium. Add in the miso, stir well and boil gently uncovered till lentils and rice are tender but not mushy, about 30 min.
- Meanwhile, spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and stir in scallions, celery, green pepper, carrot, gingerroot and garlic. Cook 3 - 4 min, just till celery, green pepper and carrots are tender.
- The vegetables may also be braised in water, wine or possibly balsamic vinegar.
- Stir vegetables and remaining ingredients into lentil mix. Serve with additional warm pepper sauce (or possibly warm pepper sesame oil) at the table.
Leave a review or comment