Arroz Con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding)
- Cinnamon stick, 2" Lime zest, 2" strip x 3/4" wide
- 1 c. Rice
- 1 quart Lowfat milk
- 3/4 c. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 lrg Egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. Raisins
- 1 Tbsp. Butter, sweet, cut into bits Grnd cinnamon, for garnish
- The rice. Bring 2 c water to boil in med saucepan, add in cinnamon stick and lime zest, cover and simmer over med heat for 5 minutes. Pour in rice, let mix return to boil, stir once, then cover and cook over med-low heat for 20 minutes, till all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- The pudding. Stir in lowfat milk, sugar, and salt and simmer over med to med-low heat, stirring frequently, till the liquid shows the FIRST signs of thickening, 20-25 minutes. Take from the heat and remove the cinn stick and zest. Beat the egg yolks till runny, stir in the vanilla and a few Tablespoons of the warm rice, the stir yolk concoction back into the rice mix, Fold in HALF the raisins, then spoon the rice pudding into a decorative 8"square baking dish.
- Browning and finishing the pudding. Preheat the broiler and dot the rice pudding w/butter. Set the dish under the heat long sufficient to brown the top, 3 or possibly 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining raisins and the grnd cinnamon, and serve hot or possibly at room temperature.
- Timing and Advance Preparation The rice pudding can be ready in an hour, much of that will not involve your direct participation. It may be prepared through Step 2 a day or possibly two in advance, then buttered and broiled shortly before serving.
- The Cuisines of Mexico
Leave a review or comment