This easy, versatile sauce is revved up with a jolt of crushed red pepper for extra flavor. Perfect over penne pasta, with shrimp, scallops or Italian sausage, it also makes a great vegetarian main course without the seafood. This sauce freezes and reheats very well. I make and freeze extra batches to have on hand for quick meals.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, or 1-1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in wine, sugar, basil, red pepper, tomato paste, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, black pepper and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes.
- For shrimp arrabbiata: add one pound peeled and cleaned shrimp, fully thawed if using frozen. Simmer another 5 minutes until shrimp are cooked into a C shape.
- Serve over cooked pasta or rice.
Leave a review or comment