Apple Harvest CakePrep: 25 min Cook: 55 min Servings: 10by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
For apple season this is a slam-dunk! It's especially pleasing for its moistness and chunks of apple, plus folks appreciate a cake without frosting for a change! This one's a keeper for your fall pot lucks! Single recipe makes an 8" x 8" size; double it for a 9" x 13" pan for pot lucks.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups apples, peeled and diced (about 3 Granny Smith or other cooking apples)
- Topping (optional) a garnish of whipped cream or powdered sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8" x 8" baking pan with vegetable spray.
- In small mixing bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In large mixing bowl beat together egg, oil and sugar. Mix in dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in apples (batter will be stiff.)
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake about 55 minutes until cake begins to pull away from sides and is set in middle, as in photo posted. (Baking time will depend on whether a shiny or dark baking pan is used. My light aluminum pan took 55 minutes to be done; dark pans will bake faster so shorten bake time by maybe 10 minutes.)
- Cool pan on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with a dollop of whipped cream or dusting of powdered sugar (optional.) Wrap leftover cake LOOSELY with foil or plastic wrap or turn up corner of wrap so cake moistness can "breath".
- YIELD: Serves 9-12
Leave a review or comment