Apple Charlotte With Toffee Sauce
- 1 x Lemon
- 1 1/2 kg Apples, (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 150 ml Apple Juice
- 150 ml Water
- 150 gm Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Grnd Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 175 gm Sponge Fingers, (approx 20)
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 100 gm Butter
- 100 gm Soft Brown Sugar
- 1. Peel off 2 strips of zest from the lemon and put in a large bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon's juice and add in to the bowl. Peel the apples, quarter and core them and slice very thinly, add in these to the lemon juice and zest, cover and leave to macerate for at least 1 hour. Pour the apple juice and water into a large frying pan, add in the sugar and spices, place over a gentle heat till the sugar has dissolved, stirring constantly.
- 2. Simmer for 5 min and then add in the apples and their juices, turning a few times, for 2 - 3 min, or possibly till the apples are tender. Take the apples and lemon zest out of the pan and reduce the juice to a syrup.
- 3. Line a 2 pint pudding basin with cling film. Soak the sponge fingers in the syrup till they are slightly soft and use to line the basin. Spoon the apples in the basin and cover with the remaining sponge fingers. Drizzle a little syrup over the top and place a serving plate over the top, weigh it down and leave for 30 min.
- Turn the pudding up the right way and peel of the cling film.
- 4. Make the toffee sauce, put all the ingredients in a saucepan and place over a gentle heat, stir continuously till the butter and sugar has melted. Bring the sauce to the boil fast for 5 min, serve hot with the apple charlotte.
Leave a review or comment