Aloo Gobi-Cauliflower and Potatoes-Indian StylePrep: 15 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 4by shalini10 recipes>
Winter and Aloo Gobi go hand in hand! This wholesome vegetable dish with rotis or paranthas...yum!and then leftovers can be stuffed into paranthas and made sandwiches with...so versatile . An accompaniment to lentil-dals or to lamb or chicken...any which way is good! Mustard oil has a high smoking point like grape seed oil and is synonymous with indian cooking...extremely heart healthy like olive oil. Garam masala is not added to all dishes..then everything will smell alike.
- 1 head 400-500 gms Cauliflower
- 1 medium potato cubed
- 1 medium onion diced fine
- 1 tsp ginger grated or finely diced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds(optional)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes/paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mustard oil/ sunflower oil
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro/coriander
- 1-2 slit green chillies
- heat the mustard oil in a wok or pan till it smokes.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle if you are using them. if not ,add the diced onions to the oil.
- saute them on a medium flame till the raw smell disappears,add the diced ginger. ginger is a warm spice,generally used in winters to provide warmth to the body.
- add the cubed potatoes and saute on a low flame till they get a light golden colour.
- add the spices-the salt and the turmeric and the paprika/red chilli flakes.now is a good time to add the green chillies if you want to. but beware they pop like mad.
- after about half a minute add the cauliflower,which is still wet (just a few drops of water) from the rinse stir well to coat and cover .
- cook over low heat stirring ocassionally for about 15 minutes,till the potatoes are done.
- over high heat ,let the juices and watery gravy evaporate and stir frequently taking care not to break the florets.
- one or two minutes...and its done.
- sprinkle over some coriander and serve hot
Leave a review or comment