Almost A Borscht SoupPrep: 20 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 16by Glenn37 recipes>
I wanted a hearty soup for lunch and had a left-over half head of boiled cabbage. What else could I do but go wild adding borschtish ingredients until I almost lost track. Bottom line, if you don't have an ingredient just leave it out or substitute something else. Have fun and be surprised, like I was, that this came out tasting fantastic. Haven't tried it cold yet, nor have I mashed it into a toothpaste tube like the Russian astronauts.
- 4 cups Beef (or ham) broth
- 1/2 head Cabbage (chopped)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Carrots (diced)
- 1/2 cup Celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup Potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup Beets (a can of Harvard Beets will work) (diced)
- 4 Eggs (hard boiled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms
- 1-28 oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 3 tbs Ginger
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Dill (I hate dill so I leave it out)
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- Start with a big pot.
- Add everything but Sour Cream unless you want Sour Cream in the stock (I don't).
- Bring to a boil then cut back to medium heat and let it boil until carrots are soft.
- Ladle into a soup bowl and add a dollop of Sour Cream unless you have already added it or you don't like Sour Cream like me. (How can you tell when sour cream goes bad--does it turn sweet?)
Leave a review or comment