Accidental CioppinoPrep: 30 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 8by The Accidental Chef20 recipes>
A great cioppino recipe with a distinct Italian flavor. This started out as sauce for lasagna. I had relatives from Canada coming over for dinner. I found out half way through the sauce, they had lasagna at my mother in law's the night before! She's not even Italian!!!
- This is not really a traditional cioppino, I think it’s better with the Sausage & Fenell! It comes out more like a stew than a broth based soup.
- Cioppino "Broth"
- 2 Tbs evoo
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, (white part only), chopped (Use the fennel fronds for garnish)
- A hand full of dried basil
- 2 bay leafs
- 6 cloves garlic, put through garlic press or mince
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 cans of Italian tomatoes w/ juice
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cups fish stock
- Kosher salt, black pepper
- 2 links Hot Italian Sausage, remove from casing & cook, drain grease.
- A handful of capers
- Seafood (you can use as much or as little as you like)
- 1 lobster tail cut into pieces or several slipper lobsters
- Crab legs or claws
- 1/2 lb clams
- 3/4 lb shrimp (peeled & cleaned)
- 1/2 lb scallops (use your favorite kind, cut into pieces if needed)
- 1 lb halibut or any white fish cut into pieces
- I start out by sauteing all the veggies in olive oil until soft then adding the anchovy.
- Add the red wine and simmer until it reduces by about half.
- Add the sausage, tomatoes, fish stock, & fennel simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the base mixture in the blender & pulse until it has a thick consistent texture, not too much, it should be thick and coarse.
- Put into large pot and add capers and season with salt & pepper.
- Continue to cook on very low flame, taking care to stir and scrape the bottom of the pot often. Don't let the tomato mixture stick to the bottom!
- When you're ready to eat, add the clams ad cook 5-10 minutes until they open. Stir in the other seafood and cook about 3-4 minutes. Top with some of the fennel fronds. Serve over pasta or with Italian crusty bread.
Leave a review or comment