Zesty Lime Marinated Chicken with Homemade Watermelon SalsaPrep: 30 min Cook: 12 min Servings: 4by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
This recipe is a true gem…Truly fresh and refreshing! First, the chicken is so tender and flavorful. Marinating in fresh lime juice and seasonings really adds to its tenderness. In addition, we’re topping the cooked chicken with a tasty and simple to make honey lime glaze. Our summertime salsa is sweet, crunchy and mildly spicy. It too is marinated in a lively sauce. It’s so versatile and works as an amazing accompaniment to chicken, fish, or pork. We love how in low calories and fat this dish is at 213 calories and 3 grams of fat. Weight Watchers (old points) 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6 SKINNY FACTS: for one serving (not including garlic toast) 213 calories, 3g fat, 25g protein, 26g carbs, 2g fiber, 345mg sodium, 18g suga
- Ingredients for Salsa
- 2 cups watermelon, seeded and diced
- 1 small ear fresh sweet corn, cut from the cob
- ½ cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- ½ cup yellow or orange sweet pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, see prep tip
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ -½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Ingredients for Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts (4-5 ounces each), boneless, skinless
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice, see prep tip
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Ingredients for Honey Lime Glaze
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, see prep tip
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- To Make Salsa: In a medium bowl, combine watermelon, cucumber, sweet pepper, corn, cilantro and onion. In a small bowl, mix together Â¼ cup lime juice, honey, red pepper flakes and salt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving, to blend flavors.
- To Make Chicken: In a shallow bowl add the chicken, 3 tablespoons lime juice and sprinkle with a little garlic powder, salt and pepper. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Coat a large nonstick pan or a grill pan with olive oil spray, add olive oil and heat. Add chicken, cover, and sautÃ© over medium heat until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes total. Remove the chicken from the pan
- To Make Honey Lime Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together Â¼ cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons honey and Tabasco. Add the honey lime glaze to the same pan. Cook for about 30 seconds until melted. Return cooked chicken to pan, flipping the chicken once to coat with the glaze.
- Remove from pan and plate each piece. Spoon watermelon salsa on top of each piece of chicken and serve with more salsa on the side.
- Serve with our recipe for Simple Garlic Toast, if desired. Recipe follows.
- Recipe for Simple Garlic Toast
- Start with 4 slices sourdough wheat bread. We bought ours at Trader Joeâs but most markets sell sourdough wheat bread or use regular sourdough slices. Cut each slice in half and toast all of them. Spread each half with 1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light. Sprinkle each with a little garlic powder. Place all 8 halves on a plate and reheat in microwave for about 15 seconds.
Leave a review or comment