You’ll love Our Heavenly Chicken Tortilla SoupPrep: 15 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 10by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
This homemade Mexican style chicken soup is so rich in intriguing flavors, vibrant in color and full of tantalizing aromas that fill your kitchen. It’s usually made by combining chicken broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and fried tortillas. There are numerous variations to add after that. We’ve added cooked chicken along with fiber rich black beans and hominy for texture. We also used a fabulous blend of spices from a company we found on the Central Coast (see shopping tip) to make this classic soup, the best we’ve ever tasted! The skinny for one cup of our delectable soup is 180 calories, 4 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. One cup of Baja Fresh’s chicken tortilla soup has 320 calories and 14 grams of fat. The most astounding number is their sodium content at 2760 mg. Yikes… Our recipe’s always a huge hit with everyone. It’s so hearty and satisfying it can be served as the main course too!
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons Spice of Life “Southwestern Mesquite” spices or make our blend of spices, see shopping tip below
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, we like Swanson’s
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1¼ cups reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed
- Shopping Tip
- At a wine event on the Central Coast of California we discovered the most amazing spice company called Spice of Life. They sell 6 fabulous blends of the most delicious, all natural spices. We’re using their “Southwestern Mesquite” for this soup. It gives our soup a rich, wonderful flavor. Visit their website to order some or to see where they sell their line of spices at www.PasoSpices.com. You won’t be disappointed! And, they’re super nice people too!
- If you don’t want to use Spice of Life’s blend, you can make your own with this combination of spices-2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoons chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. If you desire more heat, add ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper.
- In a large nonstick pot, add the olive oil, onions and garlic. SautÃ© for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tortillas, tomato paste, and Southwestern mesquite seasonings or our blend (see shopping tip) and sautÃ© for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring up to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the hominy, beans, chicken and fresh squeezed lime juice. Mix well. Cook 10 minutes more.
Leave a review or comment