Venison, Great Hunter Style
Well, this is something that you need to try at least once...and make sure that you have a really good bottle of Zin or Pinot...and of course have your friends invited! This recipe is originally published by Bela Liscsinszky, the Chef of the Golden Dragon Inn in Szentendre, Hungary. This is a modified version of it...
- 1 1/2 lb shoulder of venison
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 10 oz orange
- 3 medium onions and some garlic
- 3-4 oz smoked bacon
- 1 or 2 tbsp cranberry jam
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary
- Slice the meet into strips. Dice the onion and bacon, mushroom and orange.
- Heat a skillet and add the bacon and fry it till release some fat. Add the onion, garlic and rosemary and cook it for 8 minutes or until the onion is golden brown. Add cranberry jam, sprinkle with thyme and pure in the wine.
- Cook over high heat for a few minutes and add the meat. Salt, pepper and cook it till tender, stirring frequently (add more wine if necessary, but no more than 1/2 cup at any time).Finally, stir in the mushroom and orange. Simmer for anther 10 minutes and serve it with potato doughnuts.
- Potato Doughnuts:
- 1 lb potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil (for frying)
- Salt and freshly ground nutmeg
- Make traditional mashed potato, seasoned with salt and nutmeg. Knead with the eggs and flour. Dip a tablespoon into the oil and cut dumplings out of the dough. Fry them till crispy and golden brown in the hot oil. Salt, pepper...serve.
Leave a review or comment