Vegetarian Split Pea SoupPrep: 20 min Cook: 90 min Servings: 5by Micheline120 recipes>
This is my version of a vegetarian split pea soup that is as tasty and comforting as the ham version except there is not meat added.
- 2 cups (454 gr) carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried oregano
- 1 cup (225 gr) red potatoes, diced
- 1 lb (454 gr) dried split peas (green or yellow)
- 1 cup (225 gr) celery, diced
- 1 cup (225 gr) yellow onions, diced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black Pepper
- 1/2 (2 ml) to 1 tsp (5 ml) salt (adjust to your taste)
- 8 cups (1024 ml) or (2 X 900 ml) vegetable stock
- 1/8 cup (28 gr) olive oïl
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground laurel or 2 bay leaves (remove bay leaves before serving
- In a dutch oven or stockpot on medium heat, sauté onions, garlic, oregano, salt (start with 1/2 tsp and adjust at the end of cooking) and pepper in the olive oïl until the onions are translucent about 10 to 15 minutes. Add carrots, celery, potatoes and 1/2 cup (113 gr) split peas, vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Skim off foam while cooking. Add other 1/2 cup (113 gr) of split peas and continue to simmer for another 40 minutes or until peas as soft. Stir frequently during cooking. Adjust seasonings. Serve hot.
Leave a review or comment