Vegan Dude Food: Chili Cheese FriesPrep: 30 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 2by Vegan Thyme2 recipes>
A very familiar old superbowl or party favorite, but made much better with the vegan spin! Honestly, this cheese recipe does what is says--brings the cheese back to "chili cheese fries!"
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cup warm water
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan Nacho cheese
- Place all of the ingredients except the Nacho cheese, in a blender. Pulse it a few times. Then run the blender until the mixture is smooth. Note: this will still have some pieces of the cashew floating around and that is okay.
- Next, pour the mixture into a medium sauce pan. Turn the heat to medium low. Stir the mixture while it is heating--stir constantly--it will thicken up pretty quickly. About 2 minutes into this--add the shredded nacho cheese. Keep stirring this for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Then, pour the mixture into a heat proof bowl. (You are doing this to speed up the cooling process a bit because you need to pour this mixture back into the blender a second time to really get a good, uniform and smooth consistency.) If your mixture is warm, be sure to remove the top of the blender piece--that little clear mechanism--then cover the hole with a kitchen towel prior to turning on the blender again--prevents the stuff from spewing out of the blender and allows a bit of the remaining steam to escape.
- Now, pulse it a few times and check it to make sure it's smooth. Once you have your desired consistency.
- Pour the cheese mixture back into the sauce pan and turn heat to medium to warm it back up--about 2-3 minutes. You should have a fairly smooth, yet thicker sauce by now. That's it! You can store this in your fridge for about five days.
Leave a review or comment