Vegan Acorn Squash RisottoPrep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Roxana GreenGirl7 recipes>
Yesterday I was in the mood for some pumpkin and my husband wanted rice so to make 2 in 1 meal I decided to go with pumpkin risotto. By the time I had my acorn squash peeled and seeded i changed my mind about the traditional risotto and give it a Asian touch and this is how this creamy risotto was born without the help of cream or cheese.
- 1 acorn squash (mine had about 1 pound after cleaning)
- olive oil
- 10 ounces arborio rice
- 2 14 oz cans coconut milk
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ tablespoon nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan. Add the squash and onion, stir well and cook for about 3-7 minutes until they start to soften. I prefer the acorn to melt till the risotto is done so I cut it in tiny chunks, but it can be cut in bigger ones. Near mix the coconut milk with 3 cups stock and pun it over low heat just to have it warm when it has to be added to the pan.
- When the onion and squash start to soften add the arborio rice and stir to fry it for 1 minute.
- Start adding coconut-stock mixture, one ladle at a time.
- If the rice is not done and the coconut stock is out, add more vegetable stock. At the end add the nutmeg and stir well.
- Serve as a side or main dish.
Leave a review or comment