Traditional Cape (South African) fish cakePrep: 30 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 4by Peter Brown100 recipes>
Fish cakes are very much a Cape food and most white fish is suitable for fish cakes although I remember my mother insisted on fresh hake which she minced/flaked herself or otherwise she would use freshly caught mackeral, .. I like to mix 50/50 a white fish with a oily or game fish
- 500g of cooked flaked or minced fish
- 300g of dry mashed potatoes( no salt or butter )
- 3 tbs onion, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 2 eggs separated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs
- Fat or oil for frying
- Mix the fish with the potato, onion, lemon juice, parsley and butter.
- Mix the two egg yolks with the egg white of one egg and add that to the fish mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into balls and flatten slightly.
- Beat the remaining egg white and dip each fish cake into the egg and then into the crumbs.
- Fry in oil or fat until brown on both sides.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Leave a review or comment