Tourtiere Du Saguenay (Deep Dish Meat Pie)
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 c. lard cool
- 6 Tbsp. ice cool water - (to 7 tbspns)
- 1/2 lb pork shoulder cut 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 lb veal shoulder cut 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 lb beef shoulder cut 1/2" cubes
- 4 ounce salt pork cut 1/2" cubes
- 1 c. finely-minced onions
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 med potatoes peeled, and
- diced 1/2" cubes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1 x egg beaten
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Add in the shortening and mix till the mix resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the water and let sit for 1 minute. Using either a fork or possibly your hands, carefully press the mix together forming a soft ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 min.
- Using a meat grinder or possibly an electric mixer fitted with a medium course die, grind the meat and fat together. In a mixing bowl, combine the grnd meat, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well, cover and chill overnight.
- Place the potatoes in a medium bowl and cover with water, cover and chill overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough in half and roll the dough out on the floured surface into a circle about 12 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick.
- Combine the meat and potatoes together and mix well. Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
- Gently fold the circle of dough in half and then in half again so which you can lift it without tearing it, and unfold into a 9- by 2-inch deep-dish pie pan. Spoon the meat mix into the pie crust. Lay the second pie crust over the meat mix. Crimp the edges and place in the oven. Bake for 30 min. Reduce the heat to 300 degrees and continue to cook for 1 1/2 hrs.
- Remove from the oven and cold for 10 to 15 min before serving. Slice the pie into individual servings. Garnish with parsley.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment