Tomato and Lentil Soup
- TOMATO AND LENTIL SOUP
- From The Guy Can't Cook by Cinda Chavich.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flavorful virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium can (about 2 cups/ 500 ml) roma tomatoes, puréed (or 1 can plain tomato sauce)
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can brown or green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1 dried hot chili pepper, crumbled (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Use the food processor to finely chop the onions. Heat the oil in a soup pot and sautÃ© the onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Put the canned tomatoes, juice and all, into the food processor and purÃ©e until smooth. Add the purÃ©e to the cooked onions in the pot and stir in the broth.
- Put the lentils in a mesh sieve and run them under cold water. Drain and add the lentils to the soup. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the dill and the balsamic vinegar (if you're stuck with dried dill weed, use 1/3 to half as much). Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in the remaining fresh dill. Ladle into shallow soup bowls and garnish each serving with crumbled feta and more fresh dill, if desired. Serves 4.
Leave a review or comment