The Best Barbecued Chicken With an Amazing Homemade SaucePrep: 15 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 12by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
What makes this chicken de-licious is the fabulous homemade sauce! It’s sweet and a little spicy. You’ll notice one unusual ingredient on the list… Root beer! This ingredient really packs a punch with flavors of sassafras, sarsaparilla, cherry and ginger. This recipe is make skinny by removing the skin from the chicken, using very little oil and adding diet root beer instead of regular. Each piece has about 141 calories, 3 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
- Ingredients for Chicken:
- 1 package chicken legs (about 6 pieces)
- 1 package chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Ingredients for Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups diet root beer
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken with a little salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with foil. Cover chicken with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the barbecue sauce: In a nonstick pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes until onions are soft. Stir in root beer and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced to ½ cup, about 15 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it as it can burn easily.
- Stir in ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, molasses, Worcestershire and red pepper flakes. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Remove cooked chicken from oven. Cool slightly. Remove and discard all the skin.
- Dip chicken pieces into barbecue sauce to coat. Note: Since the chicken is already cooked there’s no need to worry about cross contamination. Grill covered for 5 minutes. Turn over and spread with more sauce. Continue to grill until charred, about 5 more minutes.
- ***To broil instead of grilled: Preheat broiler. Dip chicken pieces into barbecue sauce to coat. Place pieces on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil for 5 minutes, turn over, coat with more sauce and broil for another 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Makes 12 pieces (each serving 1 piece of chicken)
Leave a review or comment