THAI PAPAYA SALADPrep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 4by Devaki Das11 recipes>
Traditional Thai Papaya salad - Fresh green papaya, grape tomatoes, fresh garlic & Thai red chillies in a sweet tangy dressing. Very refreshing!
- ( This recipe is by no means an exact science. So adjust seasoning to your individual taste)
- 4-5 cups shredded raw green papaya
- 3-4 Thai red chillies
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 3-4 tbs palm sugar
- 1/2 cup roasted raw peanuts
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- 2 tbs dried roasted shrimp, soaked in water (is using)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- Preparation -.
- In a large earthen mortar & pestle or glass mixing bowl, pound 3-4 Thai red chillies (quantity depends on your tolerance to heat) with a pestle till crushed.
- Cook's Note - If you are using dried shrimp, you would first soak these in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain the water completely. Pound these with the pestle first & then add the chilly. Continue as shown.
- Add garlic & pound the garlic till crushed. Add the peanuts to the mortar. Pound with the pestle till coarsely crushed. Add the freshly squeezed lime juice and continue to pound with the pestle.
- Next, add the palm sugar & the fish sauce and continue to pound till completely blended. Add a handful of grape tomatoes and pound till crushed but not pureed.
- Shred the carrot into the papaya for added color. Add the shredded papaya and carrot into the mortar and pound for about 3-5 minutes mixing & turning with a large spoon at the same time so all the ingredients are well blended.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Leave a review or comment