Thaï pumpkin and coconut milk soupPrep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Micheline120 recipes>
This smooth and delicious soup is irresistible. You can easily freeze this soup. This recipe is gluten-free.
- 1 french shallot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsps (30 - 45 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp (2 - 5 ml) curry powder
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 - 10 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) pumpkin (without the skin), diced
- or buttercup squash (leave the skin on), diced
- 1 - 13 oz (400 ml) can non-sweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) concentrated vegetable stock or bouillon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 lemongrass stalk (optional), cut in 2 pieces
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook the shallot and onion in the olive oil until soft on medium heat. Add the curry powder, tomato paste and the pumpkin or the squash. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes while stirring regularly.
- Add the coconut milk and stock or bouillon. Simmer a few more minutes. Add the lemongrass stalk and add enough water to just cover the pumpkin or the squash. Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pumpkin or squash is cooked. Remove the cover and simmer another 5 minutes to allow evaporation of some of the liquid and to concentrate the flavours. Remove the lemongrass stalk. Let the soup cool slightly and purÃ©e with an electric hand held food processor until smooth.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with the cilantro. You can add 1 tsp (5 ml) pumpkin seed oil on top of each bowl for additioanl flavour.
Leave a review or comment