Tamale King's Borracho Beans!! YUMPrep: 8 hours Servings: 20by Laurette Champagne-koerber3 recipes>
I'm pretty sure any type of beans will work for this recipe, but I always use pinto beans! open the bag and dump out the beans on the cookie sheet to get out any pebbles and yukky looking stuff. then soak the beans in water over night in crockpot or bowl. add more water to the beans in the morning if all soaked up so its about two or three inches over. start crockpot on low or a deep pot on low heat. start adding all the ingredients from there, it should be done by dinner if you start by 11am at the latest. I always make a double batch of cornbread to go with! so good! you can choose your fav cornbread, and make cornbread muffins or regular cornbread!
- 1 bag of beans
- 1 large can OR 2 small cans of rotel diced tomatoes with habaneros-its okay to substitute with what you got (stewed tomatoes) if you don't have rotel. no biggie
- 8 strips of bacon already cooked in the frying pan drained etc...if you like add about 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease for flavor, then when the bacon cools chop it up and put that in.
- add cilantro to taste, about 8 tablespoons, I found the dried cilantro leaves in the seasonings section works great-taste better then fresh for this recipe.
- 1 whole yellow onion OR 2 small white onions is fine too.
- when it gets warm add a layer of salt n pepper and squeeze a wedge of lime juice in-not too much! trust me. (don't go overboard on salt cause the bacon is salty too.) just keep tasting.
- 1 can of beer is optional preferably a half of a corona is fine. wedge of lime juice squeezed in.
- optional, if you like heat add a few Serrano peppers chopped up.
- 1 can of tomato sauce is optional.
- open bag of beans the night before, lay out on the cookie sheet and throw out any hard pebbles black or white.
- soak beans overnight.
- put beans in crockpot with water on low or use a deep pot and low heat if on the stove.
- add 1 lg can of rotel tomatoes OR stewed tomatoes,
- fry bacon separate, chop and add bacon for flavor-1 tbs of bacon grease optional.
- add about 8 tbs of dried cilantro leaves or if your gonna use fresh I would say 4 tbs. chopped of course. I have used both and I feel the dried leaves taste better in this recipe. sometimes I add a little more than 8 tbs if I cannot smell the cilantro while its simmering.
- add 1 whole onion chopped up.
- sprinle a layer of salt & pepper then stir occasionally.
- half of a corona and squeeze a wedge of lime juice in.
- if you like a can of tomato sauce can be added.
- simmer on low all day starting from about 10am to 5 or 6pm stir occasionally -cool off a bite to see if the beans are all the way done before shutting off. you can do this recipe on high and possible cut off a few hours, but I like low. I have done this recipe several times and it does better on low.
- Hopefully these beans are done about an hour before eating time because they're hot! to cool faster serve in bowls and let cool on the table instead of cooling in the crockpot. You have to serve this dish with cornbread! simple, cheap easy meal.
- wait till cool to refrigerate the leftovers.
Leave a review or comment