Sweet Potato Layer Cake With Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 lb tan-skinned sweet potatoes - (abt 3 med)
- 3 c. cake flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking pwdr
- 2 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 1 tsp grnd ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp grnd cloves
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. golden sugar - (packed)
- 4 lrg Large eggs
- 2/3 c. minced walnuts plus
- 1/4 c. minced walnuts toasted
- 2/3 c. dry cranberries plus
- 1/4 c. dry cranberries
- 1 pkt cream cheese - (8 ounce) room temperature
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 7 3/4 c. powdered sugar sifted
- 2 Tbsp. frzn orange juice concentrate thawed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. sliced candied orange peel
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce potatoes with fork; place on small baking sheet. Roast potatoes till soft, about 1 hour. Cold, peel, and mash potatoes. Measure 2 c. mashed potatoes; cold to lukewarm (reserve any remaining potatoes for another use). Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides; line pans with parchment.
- Sift flour and next 6 ingredients into medium bowl. Combine oil, 1 c. sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl; whisk till smooth. Whisk in Large eggs 1 at a time, then mashed sweet potatoes. Whisk in flour mix in 3 additions. Stir in 2/3 c. walnuts and 2/3 c. cranberries.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake cakes till tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 min. Cold cakes completely in pans on racks.
- For Frosting: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl till fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, scraping down bowl often. Beat in orange juice concentrate and vanilla.
- Cut around pan sides; turn out cakes. Peel off parchment. Place 1 cake layer, flat-side up, on platter. Spread 3/4 c. frosting over. Top with second cake layer, flat-side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Combine orange peel, 3 Tbsp. sugar, remaining 1/4 c. walnuts, and 1/4 c. cranberries in small bowl. Stir to coat with sugar. Transfer to sieve; sift off excess sugar. Sprinkle fruit and nut mix decoratively atop cake. Refrigeratetill frosting sets, at least 2 hrs. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- Comments: Sweet potatoes make this moist; cranberries and walnuts add in texture and color.
Leave a review or comment