Steamed Stuffed Winter Melon RollsPrep: 30 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 4by kitchen flavours25 recipes>
Did you know that winter melon can grow as large as 80cm in length! That's really huge! The one I saw in the market is really big, I bought just a slice, about 5" wide and it already weighs almost 1 kg! Winter melon is popular among the Chinese. It can be used in stir-fries, soups and can be preserved into candied winter melon, which are used to prepare sweet desserts as well as in savoury cooking. For soups, the flesh is usually boiled with either chicken or pork together with a few other Chinese herbs.
- Steamed Stuffed Winter Melon Rolls
- (with some changes, original source from :"Steamed Cuisine")
- Ingredients A :
- 200gm winter melon
- some shredded spring onion
- cornstarch solution, for thickening
- Ingredients B :
- 100g fish paste
- 100gm minced pork
- 100gm prawn paste
- 1 tbsp chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp choppped water chestnuts
- Seasoning :
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp corn flour
- Sauce :
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp "Shaoxing" wine (Chinese cooking wine)
- stock - use the stock collected during steaming
- Cut winter melon into thin slices, blanch in the boiling water until soften. Remove, rinse under running cool water, drain well and keep aside.
- To make filling, mix entire ingredients (B) and seasoning, stir until sticky.
- Spoon in some filling onto each winter melon slice, roll it up. Arrange on a heatproof plate. Steam in a preheated steamer, over medium high heat for 10 minutes until cooked.
- After steaming, remove rolls carefully to a serving plate. There will be some stock collected during the steaming. This stock is really tasty. Pour this stock into a small saucepan. Add in the sesame oil, light soy sauce or salt to taste, Chinese cooking wine and allow to boil for a few minutes. Thicken with some cornstarch solution and pour thickened gravy onto the stuffed rolls. Garnish with spring onions and serve hot. Enjoy!
- The extra bits and pieces of the melon flesh, after slicing for the rolls, can be used for soups or stir-fries)
Leave a review or comment