St. Mary's grilled Apple-Brined Turkey with a late Harvest Fruit Stuffing
Producing a juice amber-colored turkey, infused with flavor was possible for the early immigrants in St. Mary's County, Maryland. You won't regret planning for the long marinating time. This uncommonly tasty turkey and the "Late Harvest" fruit stuffing is worth every minute of it.
- 2 qts unsweetened apple cider
- 2 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- 4 oz fresh ginger root , peeled and thinly sliced
- 15 whole cloves
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 medium oranges, quartered
- 3 qts cold water
- 1 turkey (12-14 lbs_)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Late Harvest Fruit stuffing
- 8 oz butter
- 2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 12 cups stale 1/4 " bread cubes
- 2/3 cup currants
- 6 firm tart apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1Tbs chopped fresh sage
- rind and juice of 2 large lemons
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Dry white wine
- The Turkey:
- In a large kettle combine the first 7 ingredients. Bring tom a boil and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in oranges. Remove from the heat. Add cold water to cool the marinate to room temperature.
- Remove giblets from turkey (discard or save for other things) Place a turkey-sized oven roasting bag inside the second roasting bag , add turkey. Carefully pour cooled marinade into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible , seal bag and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan or other large container . Refrigerate for 18-24 hours , turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat. Drain and discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water, pat dry. Rub oil over skin. Skewer turkey openings, tie drum sticks together.
- Place, breast side up, on a rack in a disposable foil roasting pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1 hour. Tent turkey with foil , grill 2 1/2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 180 degrees F. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Yield: 12-14 servings
- The Late Harvest fruit stuffing:
- Melt butter in a skillet and saute the onion and celery until tender but not browned. Add to the bread in a large bowl
- Add remaining ingredients , including enough wine to just moisten the stuffing
- Yield: enough stuffing for a 12-14 lb turkey
Leave a review or comment