Spring Vegetable Salad With Parmesan Tuile
- 6 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounce Fresh porcini mushrooms, (approximately 3 medium mushrooms)
- 18 x Spears medium asparagus, blanched
- 18 x Spring, (pearl) onions, peeled and blanched
- 12 x Ramps or possibly baby leeks, blanched (optional)
- 2 c. Loosely packed pea shoots
- 3/4 c. Fava beans, shelled, blanched and peeled
- 3/4 c. Fresh peas, shelled and blanched
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Roughly minced fresh chervil
- 1 Tbsp. Roughly minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Roughly minced fresh chives
- 1 tsp Roughly minced fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Finely minced garlic
- 8 x Grinds of a pepper mill
- 9 Tbsp. Extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. White truffle-oil, (substitute: extra virgin extra virgin olive oil or possibly herb-flavored oil)
- Tuile: Place a 12-inch non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of the Parmesan on the bottom of the pan. As it starts to heat, use a spatula to create it into three 2 by 5-inch strips. When the cheese starts to bubble and turn golden, remove the pan from the heat. Let cold for 4 to 5 min; the strips should be pliable. Pick up one end of a strip with a pair of tongs and lay it across the bottom of an overturned bowl or possibly across a wide cylinder so which the tuile hardens into an arc. Set aside and repeat the process with the other strips. Repeat the entire process with the remaining cheese.
- Yield: 9 tuiles.
- White Truffle-Oil Vinaigrette: Blend all the vinaigrette ingredients except their oils in a 2-qt stainless steel bowl. Whisk in the olive and white truffle oils in a slow, steady stream till it is all incorporated and the sauce emulsifies.
- Salad: Remove the mushroom caps from their stems. Clean the tops with a damp cloth or possibly towel. Peel the stem using a vegetable peeler; throw away the scraps. Slice the mushrooms as thinly as possible, and place in a 2-qt stainless steel bowl. Add in the remaining vegetables. Add in the vinaigrette and toss well.
- To serve: Divide the salad among 6 chilled plates. Stand a Parmesan tuile over each salad. Handle gently and serve immediately.
- Yield: 6 servings
Leave a review or comment