Split Pea SoupPrep: 25 min Cook: 3 hours Servings: 12by Kyle Dalakas101 recipes>
Hearty and delicious, split pea soup is the perfect comfort food on a cold winter night!
- 1 Ham Bone
- 2 12 Oz. Packages Dried Split Peas (Rinsed and soaked)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, minced
- 4 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 8 Baby Carrots, chopped (or 2-3 large)
- 3 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp. Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp. Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- Always thoroughly rinse the peas the night before and soak in cold water for about 12 hours prior to using.
- Place ham bone in a large stock pot.
- Drain and rinse the peas and add to the pot.
- Cover ham bone and peas with water and bring to a low boil over medium high heat. Cook, stirring frequently for about 45 minutes.
- Mince the onion, chop the celery and carrots. Add the onion, carrots, celery, spices and butter to the soup.
- Lower heat to low and let simmer for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove ham bone and shred meat. Add to soup. Serve with a salad and some crackers or rolls
- This also freezes well for up to 6 months
Leave a review or comment