Spinach And Ricotta Stuffed Tomatoes
- 8 x Tomatoes, red ripe
- Salt, for draining tomatoe
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil, best quality
- 1 c. Yellow onion, finely minced
- 10 ounce Frzn spinach, defrosted, liquid removed, sqeezed dry
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste
- 1 c. Ricotta cheese
- 2 x Egg yolk
- 1/2 c. Toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, imported, grated
- Additional parmesan cheese, to top tomatoes
- 1/2 c. Italian parsley, chopeed, fresh
- 1A. Select large symmetrical tomatoes, the riper the better. Cut off the tops with a serrated knife and resere tops. Use the handle-end of a tsp. to scrape out all the seeds, juice and partitions, leaving a shell
- (be careful not to pierce the sides). Salt the cavities and set the tomatoes upside down on a paper towel for 30 min. Blot tomato cavities with a paper towel and fill them with your selected stuffing, mounding it slightly. Set the reserved caps back on top at a jaunty angle; chill till serving time.
- Depending on the size of the tomatoes, each will hold 1/2 to 3/4 c. stuffing.
- 1. Wash and dry the tomatoes and cut off their tops. With the handle end of a small spoon, scrape out seeds and partitions, being careful not to pierce the sides of tomatoes. salt the cavities and set the tomatoes upside down on a paper towel to drain for 30 min.
- 2. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet, add in the onions and cook, covered, over low heat till tender and lightly colored, about 25 min.
- 3. Chop the spinach and add in it to the skillet. Combine onions and spinach thoroughly, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and cover. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 min. Don't let the mix scorch.
- 4. Beat ricotta and egg yolks together thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Add in spinach mix, pine nuts, 1/4 c. of the Parmesian and the parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5. Gently blot tomato cavities dry with a paper towel and spoon an equal share of the spinach mix into each one. Top each tomato with a sprinkle of additional Parmesian.
- 6. Arrange tomatoes in a shallow baking dish and set in the upper third of a preheated 350#161#F oven. Bake till tops are well browned and filling is warm and bubbly, about 20 min. Serve immediately.
- NOTES : Other stuffings include Tarragon Chicken Salad, Shrimp and Grape Salad, either of the arugula salads, or possibly Rice and Vegetable Salad.
- See indexfor recipes.
Leave a review or comment