Spicy Red Anjou Pear Sauce:Prep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 10by Julia Ann Souders63 recipes>
A cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice flavored sauce made from Red Anjou Pears. A tasty side dish to have with pork, chicken or vegetarian as salad or dessert. Great with cottage cheese. Recipe adapted from my recipe of apple sauce. ©2007-2014 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com All rights reserved.
- 4 Red Anjou pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups water to cover pears, again more or less to your preference
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Wash and peel pears.
- Core and cut into 1/2-inch pieces into a pan of water with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. (To prevent browning.)
- Drain the pears and put into 4-quart sauce pan.
- Add water to cover pears.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add the sugars and salt.
- Cook to boiling for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- Cook for 30 minutes, longer if preferred for a softer pear.
- Remove from heat; add the vanilla.
- Puree in small batches, 1/2 to 1 cup, to thickness preferred.
- Pour into bowl or store or pour into clean sterile pint jars.
- Refrigerate until use.
Leave a review or comment