Spiced Rice And Beans ( Moong Dal Khichdi )
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 x black peppercorns
- 4 x cloves
- large healthy pinch asafoetida
- 6 x curry leaves
- 4 x green chillies slit lengthways so the seeds are exposed but the chilli is not broken in 2
- 300 gm any indian rice washed and liquid removed
- 150 gm split mung beans (moong dal)
- 900 ml warm water
- 2 tsp ghee
- Heat the oil in a pan and add in the cumin.
- When it changes colour add in the peppercorns cloves asafoetida curry leaves and chillies.
- Fry for a minute add in the rice and mung beans.
- Fry till shiny then add in the water and salt.
- Bring to the boil reduce the heat cover the pan and simmer till the rice is fluffy and dry.
- Serve warm drizzled with melted ghee.
- Spiced rice and beans is one of the most complete and quick meals you can make. Served with a warm pickle it is sure to stimulate a dull appetite.
- Serves 4
Leave a review or comment