SpanikopitaPrep: 40 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 20by Kelly Christensen59 recipes>
This is an authentic recipe from Turkey that my mom received from the women she lived near in Ankara, Turkey when we were stationed there as a family.
- Spinach Filling:
- 2 boxes chopped, frozen spinach (strained well)
- 1 pound feta cheese mashed (rinse with water first)
- 2/3 cups olive oil
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 4 green onions chopped fine
- 2 eggs
- Other Ingredients:
- 1 box of Phyllo pastry dough sheets
- 2 sticks melted butter
- Combine strained spinach, cheese, olive oil, eggs, onions and parsley. Mix well. Separate one sheet of Phyllo dough and spread on melted butter with brush. Then peel off another sheet of Phyllo Dough and place it directly on top of the first buttered dough and butter again. Then cut the large Phyllo dough buttered square from top to bottom into six long columns. Place 1/4 cup of spinach mixture on top corner of one of the cut sections of filo dough. Fold spinach over like you're folding a flag shape (triangle) until the dough fully covers the spinach. Place on waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Brush butter on top of the triangle and place cookie sheet in freezer for one hour. Then place slightly frozen triangles in double plastic freezer bags until ready to bake and serve.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the spanikopita is slightly browned on the edges. Serve while warm.
Leave a review or comment