Southwestern Rib Rub
This is a very simple rub that takes only a few minutes to put together. I use it on pork ribs but it’s excellent on beef also. Rather than baby back ribs, I like to use this rub with regular meaty spareribs. I grill the ribs for about 1 ½ - 2 hours. This does not make a fall off the bone rib but rather one you can really sink your teeth into. A real carnivore’s delight. This makes enough rub for about 8-10 pounds of ribs.
- ½ cup kosher salt
- ¼ cup black & white pepper mixed & coarse ground
- ¼ cup hot paprika
- 3 Tb Ancho or other pure ground mild chili powder
- 2 Tb cayenne pepper - I use a milder cayenne @ about 40,000 HU. If you use a hotter cayenne (it comes up to 90,000 HU) decrease to 1 Tb.
- 2 Tb garlic powder
- 4 ts ground cumin
- 1 Tb dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Liberally coat ribs and place in a plastic zip lock bag or tightly wrap in plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator from 6 to 24 hours.
- Grill over low to medium heat to avoid burning as the rub chars easily.
Leave a review or comment